IRS Reject Codes - R0000-507-01 and F1040SSPR-507

REJECTION CODES R0000-507-01 and F1040SSPR-507-01

Dependent Was Claimed On Another Return

If your return was rejected because your dependent was claimed on another return, double-check the information you entered for the dependent. If the name, SSN, or other data for the dependent is incorrect, fix the mistake and resubmit your return.

If the dependent's information was entered correctly on the rejected return, you have two options.

First Option:

You can remove the dependent and e-file your return. Once you have received your refund, you can add the dependent back to an amended return. The IRS will review the amendment to determine who has the right to claim the child and adjust the tax returns appropriately.

To remove the dependent and resubmit the electronic return:

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click Federal
  2. Click Basic Information under the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category and then click Dependents and Other Qualifying Persons
  3. Click the trash can icon or Delete All and confirm your choice.
  4. Click Filing 
  5. Click E-File 
  6. Continue through the e-file steps to resubmit your return

Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, you can go back into your TaxAct return and create the amendment. This will allow you to add the dependent back to the return and request the additional refund, if applicable.

To create your amendment (after the original return has been accepted):

PRINT A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL RETURN. It will be your only copy after making any changes for the amendment.

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal
  2. Click Basic Information to expand the category and then click Dependents and Other Qualifying Persons
  3. Click New Copy of Dependent and Qualifying Person to add a dependent
  4. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the information for the dependent(s) removed in the previous set of steps
  5. Click Filing
  6. Click Amend Federal Return
  7. Proceed through amendment questions
  8. Print the amended return and mail it to the IRS with a copy of the original return and a copy of the proper documentation proving your right to claim the child

Second Option:

You can print a paper return and mail it to the IRS.

Note. The second option will take longer to receive a refund. The IRS will need to investigate each return to determine who has the right to claim the dependent and adjust the returns appropriately before issuing a refund.

Per the IRS, you should not attach any documents not required with your return. If the IRS needs additional documentation to support your claiming the dependent, they will contact you by mail.

The IRS will continue to reject attempts to e-file this return until the dependent is removed, no matter which tax preparation method is used.