To enter the amount of state exempt dividend income (i.e. due to your mutual fund investing in U.S. government obligations), follow the steps below. If your state allows this deduction, it will flow to the appropriate section of the state return.
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Investment Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Dividend income (Form 1099-DIV).
- Click + Add Form 1099-DIV to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created.
- Click Quick Entry to scroll down to answer all applicable questions or click Step-by-Step Guidance to proceed with the program interview questions.
- On the screen titled Dividend Income - State Tax-Exempt Investments, click Yes, then click Continue.