E-Filing - Resubmitting Returns Due to Errors Made or Missing Information

The IRS e-file processing system generally accepts or rejects tax returns within seconds or minutes; therefore, if your return is accepted, and you later discover that you made an error on your e-filed return or you have received additional information (example: Form W-2) that needs to be included in the return, you will need to file an amended return. You should NOT re-submit a second return as it will be rejected with the "Previously Accepted Return" message.

To fix errors made on an e-filed return, or to include necessary information that arrived after you filed, you need to file an amended return. If you determine an amendment is necessary, go to our Form 1040-X - How to Create an Amended Return FAQ.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.