The TaxACT Attachment Manager allows you to attach PDF copies of supporting documentation to your return. The program will determine which optional or required attachments apply to you.
The Attachment Manager is used in two situations for federal returns:
- Form 2210, Part II, Boxes A or B selected (optional attachments)
- You are claiming a dependent that was born and died in 2012 and did not have a Social Security Number (SSN) issued. In this case you should type "DIED" instead of entering an SSN for that child during the Basic Info section of the Q&A. If the child did have an SSN, you are not require to attach a copy of the child's birth certificate, death certificate, or hospital records showing a live birth.
Note that your state program may have additional documentation requirements supported in the Attachment Manager.
If one of these situations applies to your return:
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop) click the Filing tab, then click E-File My Return
- Continue to the screen titled E-Filing - Attachments to Return and click Attach Documents
- Click Add attach a new document for any of categories listed
- Choose the appropriate options from the available drop-down menus. Be sure to review the Additional Information provided.
- Click Browse to locate the PDF on your computer
- Click Finish to upload and add your attachment
If your attachment is invalid for any reason, you will see a red Invalid Attachments warning in the Attachment Manager, as well as an Alert in the filing steps. You will need to remove the invalid attachment before filing.
Attaching a new PDF will not overwrite any older versions of the document. If you upload a new version of an attachment, make sure you delete any old copies you previously attached.
Only PDFs can be attached to your return. If you have a paper copy of your attachment, you will need to use a scanner to create a PDF version. If your attachment is in a different file format, you may be able to use "Print to PDF" to convert your document. See the steps below for two common methods for creating a PDF.
In Adobe Acrobat:
- Open Acrobat and click File, then Open
- Find and open the file you wish to convert. You may need to change Files of Type from Adobe PDF Files (*.pdf) to All Files (*.*) at the bottom of this screen.
- The file will be converted to PDF when it is opened. Save this file and upload it in TaxACT's Attachment Manager.
In Microsoft Word:
- Open your document in Microsoft Word
- Click File, then Print
- Under the printer options, choose Adobe PDF as your printer
- Click Print and the file will convert to PDF. Save this file and upload it in TaxACT's Attachment Manager