Employee Expenses - Partial Reimbursement for Mileage

Tax Reform Update: Employee business expenses can be claimed only by Armed Forces reservists, qualified performing artists, fee-basis state or local government officials, and employees with impairment-related work expenses.

If you were partially reimbursed for your employee business miles, your total business miles and reimbursements for the current year are entered on IRS Form 2106 Employee Business Expenses. To input this information in the TaxAct® program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Other Adjustments to expand the category, then click National Guard/Reserve member from Form 2106 or Qualified performing Artist or Fee-Basis Government Official from Form 2106.
  3. The program will continue with the interview questions to enter the appropriate information. After entering your vehicle expenses, including employee business miles, continue to the screen titled Employee Expenses - Employer Reimbursements to enter your total reimbursements for those miles.

The program will calculate the difference between the two amounts for your deduction. For example, if you drove 100 miles, your standard mileage deduction would be $56 (100 x .56). If your employer reimbursed you at a rate of 20 cents per mile, you would enter $20 in the reimbursement field (100 x .20). Your total mileage deduction on Form 2106 would be $36 (56 - 20).

See Standard Mileage Rates for more information.

Related Links