To change the selection of whether or not you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return (i.e. your parent's):
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Basic Information in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Dependent on someone else's tax return.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
- On the screen titled Can you be claimed as a dependent?, check I can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return to remove your exemption (i.e. to indicate you are or will be claimed on someone else's return); or uncheck the box to add back the exemption for yourself, then click Continue.
- If married, check (or uncheck) My spouse can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return as needed.
If applicable to your situation, click Filing, then click E-File Return to continue through the e-file steps to resubmit your return.