To enter or modify either the taxpayer's or spouse's blind or totally disabled status in your TaxAct® return:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Basic Information in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Name.
- Check Legally blind, permanently disabled, or passed away, if legally blind or permanently disabled, check the applicable box and if passed away, enter or select the Date of Death, then click Continue.
- Do the spouse (if applicable), then to continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
The disability status is used in the TaxAct return:
- on Schedule R Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled to identify if an individual may be classified as disabled,
- in the Earned Income Credit (EIC) calculation to help determine if an individual can be claimed on another return and for the question on the EIC worksheet, or
- on some state returns that have special deductions or credits for individuals who are permanently and totally disabled.