Unemployment Compensation - Fully Taxable

All unemployment compensation you receive is taxable and included in your gross income. If you received unemployment compensation during the year, you should receive a Form 1099-G Certain Government Payments showing the amount you were paid. This amount must be included in your income.

To enter or review your unemployment compensation information from Form 1099-G in the TaxAct® program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Other Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Unemployment compensation.
  3. Click + Add Form 1099-G Unemployment to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created.
  4. Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.

See "Unemployment Benefits" on page 27 of IRS Publication 525 Taxable and Nontaxable Income for more information.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.