You can complete Form 4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File within your TaxAct Professional Edition program.
To complete Form 4868 in the Q&A:
- From within your TaxAct Professional Edition, click Clients to view the Client Manager screen (if it is not already visible), then double-click the client you are filing Form 4868 for.
- Click Return in the upper menu bar, then hover your mouse over Application for Extension.
- Click Federal, or hover your mouse over State, then click which state you need to file for (in some cases, choose City.
- You will be directed to the File Extension screen of the Q&A, and you can follow the on-screen instructions to complete the form (if it is too early in the tax season, the Q&A will state on the screen that it will not support completion of the form yet).
To complete Form 4868 with Forms View:
- Open the client return by double-clicking the client's name in the Client Manager.
- In the left navigation pane, expand the Federal folder, then expand the Federal Forms and Schedules folder.
(For a state return, scroll down to locate and expand the applicable state folder instead.)
- Scroll down to locate and expand the Form 4868 - Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File folder (or use the Search bar at the top of the navigation pane).
- Double-click Add Copy. The form will open in the right pane.