In order to complete Form 4868 (Automatic Extension of Time To File) within your TaxAct Professional preparer's edition, please follow the instructions below:
- Open the client return by double clicking on the client's name from the client manager.
- Click on Return in the top menu bar of the program.
- Click on Application for Extension.
- Choose Federal or State (choose which state if you have more than one; in some cases choose City).
This will take you to the Q&A method of filing the extension. If you want to fill out the extension in the Forms view, open the return as in step 1 above, then:
- In the forms navigation pane on the left, in the Federal Forms and Schedules folder, search down the list (scroll down) for Form 4868 - Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File. You can also use the Search bar at the top of the navigation pane to type the form number or words in the name.
- Click on the plus sign to the left of the folder to expand its contents. (For the state equivalent, collapse the Federal Forms and Schedules section or simply scroll down to locate the state folder, expand the state, locate the application for extension form, and expand that.)
- Double click on Add Copy. The form will then appear in the right pane.