In your TaxAct Professional Edition program, you can import a prior year return when you create a new return or after you create a return. If you have already created a return, you can use either import method. If you are importing when creating a new return, you need to start on the Client Manager screen.
Starting on the Client Manager screen (if you are creating a return, or if you have already created the return):
- From within your TaxAct Professional Edition, click Clients in the options bar to view the Client Manager screen (if it is not already visible), then click File in the upper menu bar.
- Hover your mouse over Import, then click TaxAct 20XX Client Return(s)... (XX represents the tax year).
- Click the circle next to Locally on my PC or network or On TaxAct's Secure Servers (choose your selection based on where the return(s) are that you want to import).
- Selecting the files:
- If you chose Locally on my PC or network:
Click the return(s) you want to import (ctrl + click to select multiple files, or click a file and shift + click another file to select those files and the ones in between), then click Open.
- If you chose On TaxAct's Secure Servers:
Click the Checkbox next to each return you want to import. Use the controls at the top for selecting groups, viewing pages or screens, and how many to view per page (you will have to scroll down if there are more returns than the window can display at once).
Using the Q&A (if you have already created the return):
- From within your TaxAct Professional Edition, click Clients in the options bar to view the Client Manager screen (if it is not already visible), then Double-click the client that you want to import the return for.
- Click Q&A in the options bar, click Basic Info (if the Basic Info screen is not already visible), then click Import.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the TaxAct Program.
Note. Importing will remove all previously entered data. If you open a return that already has data and then you import, the imported data will replace what's already there.