Form 3903 - Moving Expenses - Who Can Claim

Moving expenses are calculated on Form 3903 Moving Expenses and reported as an adjustment on Schedule 1 (Form 1040) Additional Income and Adjustments to Income, Line 13.

Per Instructions for Form 3903 Moving Expenses, on page 1:

Use Form 3903 to figure your moving expense deduction if you are a member of the Armed Forces on active duty and, due to a military order, you move because of a permanent change of station.

A permanent change of station includes:

  • A move from your home to your first post of active duty,
  • A move from one permanent post of duty to another permanent post of duty, and
  • A move from your last post of duty to your home or to a nearer point in the United States. The move must occur within 1 year of ending your active duty or within the period allowed under the Joint Travel Regulations.

To enter your moving expenses into the TaxAct® program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Other Adjustments in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Moving expenses.
  3. Click + Add Form 3903 to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created.
  4. Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.