Search Help Topics:


     **The information below has not been verified for the 2019 tax year as the IRS Pub. 521 has not yet been released by the IRS.**

Moving expenses are calculated on Form 3903 and reported as an adjustment on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), Line 13.

Per IRS Publication 521 Moving Expenses, page 2:

Who Can Deduct Moving Expenses

If you are a member of the Armed Forces on active duty and you move because of a permanent change of station, you can deduct your unreimbursed moving expenses.

A permanent change of station includes:

  • A move from your home to your first post of active duty,
  • A move from one permanent post of duty to another, and
  • A move from your last post of duty to your home or to a nearer point in the United States. The move must occur within 1 year of ending your active duty or within the period allowed under the Joint Travel Regulations.

To enter your moving expenses into the TaxAct® program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Other Adjustments in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category and then click Moving Expenses
  3. Click +Add Form 3903 to create a new copy of the form or Review to review a form already created
  4. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information

Was this helpful to you?