Search Help Topics:

**The information below has not been verified for the 2020 tax year as the IRS Pub. 550 has not yet been released by the IRS.**

You may deduct capital losses up to the amount of your capital gains, plus $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately). If part of the loss is still unused, you can carry it over to later years until it is completely used up.

Any capital loss carryover to the next tax year will automatically be calculated in TaxAct®.

To access the Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet in your current year's return to see the amount which will be carried over to the next year:

  1. From within your TaxAct Online return, click Print Center down the left column, then click Custom Print.
  2. Check what you wish to print (the top section contains individual forms or schedules and the bottom section contains documents or worksheets). You may need to scroll down in the section to locate the items.
  3. Click Print, then click the PDF link. Click the printer icon or the save icon (available when you hover your mouse over the PDF form) to print or save the PDF copy.

Note. If you see a message indicating you have not paid your return fees, click the View/Pay your return fees link, which will direct you through the Paper Filing steps. Continue through the screens until you have processed the payment for your product fees and then repeat the steps to print.

  1. Start your TaxAct Desktop program, then click Forms in the top left corner.
  2. Click to expand the Federal folder, then click to expand the Worksheets folder.
  3. Scroll down and click to expand Schedule D Capital Loss - Carryforward to Next Year, double-click the copy you wish to print, then click the Printer icon in the toolbar.

In the print dialog box that appears, you can send the output to a printer or a PDF document.

Note. If you import your current year's information into the following year's return, this information will automatically be entered for you on Schedule D (Form 1040) Capital Gains and Losses.

Additional Information

Per IRS Publication 550 Investment Income and Expenses, on page 66:

Capital loss carryover. If you have a total net loss on line 16 of Schedule D (Form 1040 or 1040-SR) that is more than the yearly limit on capital loss deductions, you can carry over the unused part to the next year and treat it as if you had incurred it in that next year. If part of the loss is still unused, you can carry it over to later years until it is completely used up.

When you figure the amount of any capital loss carryover to the next year, you must take the current year's allowable deduction into account, whether or not you claimed it and whether or not you filed a return for the current year.

When you carry over a loss, it remains long term or short term. A long-term capital loss you carry over to the next tax year will reduce that year's long-term capital gains before it reduces that year's short-term capital gains.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?