Form 1040-X - Amended Return MFS to MFJ

Form 1040X - Amended Returns - Married Filing Separately to Married Filing Joint

If two taxpayers originally filed separate returns that were accepted by the IRS and want to complete amended returns to change their filing status to Married Filing Joint, please note the following:

  • If you have a refund on either of the separate returns, you should generally wait until you receive the refund(s) before amending the returns.
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for questions you may have on amending the return.
  • For additional information, please see IRS Topic 308 Amended Returns.

Steps to completing the amendment:

  1. Print a copy of both separate returns that were filed and accepted by the IRS and/or state.
  2. Select one of the two returns to amend, and enter the data for the other spouse in to that return in the TaxAct program.
  3. Print the combined return and carefully compare it to each of the separate returns to ensure ALL information has been combined on the amended return.
  4. Complete the amendment Q&A in the TaxAct® program. See the Help Topic Amending Your Federal Return - Form 1040X for more information.
  5. Submit a copy of both original Federal returns with the amendment (Form 1040X) as this will help the IRS to track the combining of those two returns.