Preparer Notes can be used by the paid preparer, electronic return originator, or taxpayer to provide additional, voluntary information related to the Form 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return tax return, but it is not required to attach it. These notes are added to the return in the same area where the Election Explanations and Regulatory Explanations are entered.
To access these screens through the Q&A Interview:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Federal).
- Click the Miscellaneous Topics dropdown, then click the Additional Information for E-Filing dropdown, then click E-Filing Notes and Explanations.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information. Click on any of the info icons on the screens for additional information on what should be entered on that screen.
To access these screens through Forms View (Professional and Desktop editions only):
- From within a TaxAct® return, click Forms in the options bar to view the Forms Explorer (if it is not already visible).
- Click Federal from the dropdown in forms explorer, then click the Information Worksheets dropdown.
- Click E-Filing Notes and Explanations. When you scroll down, there are separate sections for Preparer's Notes, Election Explanation, Regulatory Explanation, or Explanation for Automatic 2 Month Extension for Taxpayers Out of Country.
Note. While this information will be e-filed with the 1040 Federal return, it will not be transmitted to the state.