Preparer Notes can be used by the paid preparer, electronic return originator, or taxpayer to provide additional, voluntary information related to the Form 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return tax return but is not required to be attached to it. These are added to the return in the same area where the Election Explanations and Regulatory Explanations are entered.
To access these screens through the Q&A Interview:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Miscellaneous Topics in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, click Additional Information for E-Filing to expand, then click E-Filing Notes and Explanations.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information. Click on any of the info icons on the screens for additional information on what should be entered on that screen.
To access these screens through Forms View (Professional and Desktop editions only):
- From within a TaxAct® return, click Forms.
- In Forms Explorer, expand the Federal file tree, then expand the Information Worksheets file tree.
- Double-click E-Filing Notes and Explanations - E-Filing Information. At the bottom of the worksheet, there are separate sections for Preparer's Notes, Election Explanation, Regulatory Explanation, or Explanation for Automatic 2 Month Extension for Taxpayers Out of Country.
Note. While this information will be e-filed with the 1040 Federal return, it will not be transmitted to the state.