Preparer Notes can be used by the paid preparer, electronic return originator or taxpayer to provide additional, voluntary information related to the 1040 tax return but not required to be attached to it. These are added to the return in the same area where the Election Explanations and Regulatory Explanations are entered.
To access these screens through the Q&A Interview:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Miscellaneous Topics in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category and then click Additional Information for E-Filing to expand that section
- Click E-Filing Notes and Explanations, and then click Continue to reach the applicable screen. Click on any of the Info Icons on the screens for additional information on what should be entered on that screen.
To access these screens through Forms View (Professional and Desktop editions only):
- From within a TaxAct® return, click the Forms button
- In Forms Explorer, expand the Federal file tree, and then expand the Information Worksheets file tree
- Double-click E-Filing Notes and Explanations - E-Filing Information. At the bottom of the worksheet there are separate sections for Preparer's Notes, Election Explanation, Regulatory Explanation or Explanation for Automatic 2 Month Extension for Taxpayers Out of Country.
Note. While this information will be electronically filed with the 1040 Federal return, it will not be transmitted to the state.