IRS Reject Codes - IND-031-04 and IND-032-04

The taxpayer's prior year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) amount is used as an electronic signature for the e-filed return. This information helps the IRS confirm the identity of the person filing the return. Error codes beginning with IND-031 and IND-032 are issued when the AGI entered by the taxpayer does not match the information in the IRS e-file database.

These errors commonly occur when the taxpayer has used the current year AGI instead of the prior year AGI. You must use the original amount from last year's Form 1040 to sign this year's return. If you filed a joint return last year, each spouse must separately enter the same AGI amount (the entire original AGI; do not split the amount in half).

The AGI you should use to sign your 2018 return can be found on the following lines of your 2017 return (round this amount to the nearest whole dollar):

  • Form 1040, Line 38
  • Form 1040A, Line 21
  • Form 1040EZ, Line 4

Note. There are two different PINs related to electronic filing. To avoid confusion, keep the following distinctions in mind:

  • Your 2018 self-select PIN (step 3 below) is a five-digit number you choose to sign this year's return. You must enter this PIN to file electronically. This "signature" is authenticated using your prior year AGI or your 2017 self-select PIN.
  • Your 2017 self-select PIN (step 2 below) is the five-digit number you used to sign last year's return if you filed electronically.

Once you have access to your 2017 AGI, 2017 PIN, and 2018 self-select PIN), you can use the following steps to review and resubmit your return at no charge:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click Filing (on smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Filing), and then select E-file My Return.
  2. Continue through the screens until you are prompted to enter prior year information. Make the applicable change below.
    • Enter your corrected 2018 AGI in the appropriate field, or
    • Enter your 2018 PIN in the appropriate field

    Be sure to clear imported information from any unused field.

  3. On the electronic signature screen, enter a 2018 self select PIN using any 5 numbers. Be sure to enter one for your spouse if applicable. This PIN can be different from what you used to e-file initially.
  4. Continue through the remaining screens and click Submit to complete the e-filing process. After you have successfully e-filed, you will see a confirmation screen. If you don't see this screen, it means your return was not e-filed and you will need to repeat these steps.

If you choose to correct your 2017 AGI to sign your return, or to use your prior year PIN, click I have access to my 2017 tax return and enter the information in the appropriate field(s).

After e-filing your return, please wait 24-48 hours to check your e-file status at If you have questions or need more information, please contact us for free assistance.

If only the federal or state return is rejected, you do not need to resubmit the accepted return. If your federal return was rejected, and your state requires you to file piggyback, you will need to resubmit both returns after you have made corrections.

What if I did not file a return with the IRS last year?

If you have never filed before or you filed last year using an ITIN and have an SSN this year, select I am a first-time filer or I did NOT file a 2017 tax return on the screen titled E-Filing - Prior Year Information. If you are married filing jointly and only one spouse filed a 2017 return, you should enter the prior year AGI for that spouse and zero (0) for the spouse who has not filed before.

If your 2017 AGI was zero, you should use 0 (zero) as your prior year AGI when e-filing.

What do I use for the original AGI if my filing status has changed since last year?

If your filing status changed from the previous year to Married Filing Jointly, then each taxpayer will use their individual original AGI from their respective prior year return.

If the change is from Married Filing Jointly, then both taxpayers will use the same original AGI from last year's joint tax return.

What AGI or PIN do I use if I filed jointly with a different spouse last year?

If you filed jointly with a different spouse in the previous year, use the total AGI amount from the joint return filed with the ex-spouse.

I imported last year's information - how can my AGI be wrong?

This can happen if you made any changes to your return after e-filing last year, but before importing this year. If that situation applies to you, follow these steps:

  1. Obtain the correct 2017 AGI amount from the copy of your 2017 return saved at the time you e-filed
  2. Enter that amount in your 2018 return filing steps for the prior-year AGI amount.

Related Links