Search Help Topics:


The TaxAct® program supports the entry of up to 48 rental properties on Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss in a return. If you have more than 48 properties to report, the following workaround will enable you to accomplish that (please note, you would be required to paper file the return):

First, complete the information for the first 47 properties in the current return (Return A).

Create a second return (Return B), which will NOT be filed, and on this second return enter the information for the remaining properties. Print out Return B so you have the Schedules E for these remaining properties. You WILL NOT send any other forms from this printout of Return B to the IRS.

For the 48th rental property on Return A, enter "TOTALS FROM PROPERTIES IN EXCESS OF 47" as the description. Then enter the total income and total expenses from the additional properties. This will include the totals from Return B correctly in Return A.

Print Return A, insert the Schedules E from Return B in that printout, and send that to the IRS. This will include all rental properties in one tax return.

This procedure is necessary in order for Form 8582 Passive Activity Credit Limitations to calculate properly. 

Note You may first need to determine whether or not this information should instead be reported on Schedule C as business income. 

Per IRS Publication 527 Residential Rental Property, page 12:

Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Business

Generally, Schedule C is used when you provide substantial services in conjunction with the property or the rental is part of a trade or business as a real estate dealer.

Providing substantial services. If you provide substantial services that are primarily for your tenant's convenience, such as regular cleaning, changing linen, or maid service, you report your rental income and expenses on Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Business, Net Profit From Business. Use Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income, if your rental activity is a partnership (including a partnership with your spouse unless it is a qualified joint venture). Substantial services don't include the furnishing of heat and light, cleaning of public areas, trash collection, etc. For information, see Pub. 334 Tax Guide for Small Business. Also, you may have to pay self-employment tax on your rental income using Schedule SE (Form 1040), Self-Employment Tax. For a discussion of “substantial services,” see Real Estate Rents in Pub. 334, chapter 5.

Was this helpful to you?