Search Help Topics:


Self-Employed Persons - Business Use of Home

If you are self-employed and file Schedule C (Form 1040) Profit or Loss From Business, complete Form 8829 Expenses for Business Use of Your Home. The calculation from this form is then transferred to Schedule C, Line 30.

If you are a statutory employee, use Schedule C (Form 1040) to claim the expenses. The statutory employee box on Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement, Box 13 will be checked if you are a statutory employee.

To enter the information for the Business Use of Home into the TaxAct® Program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Federal).
  2. Click the Business Income dropdown, then click Business income or loss from a sole proprietorship.
  3. Click + Add Schedule C to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to edit a form already created (desktop program: click Review instead of Edit).
  4. If you clicked + Add Schedule C, you can continue with the interview process until you reach the screen titled Did you use your home for business purposes for this business?, then click Yes.
  5. If you clicked Edit or Review, and you had entered some information earlier, you can click Review next to Business Use of Home on the screen titled Select a topic to review for this business, then click Yes.

Was this helpful to you?