Schedule C - Business Use of Home

Self-Employed Persons - Business Use of Home

If you are self-employed and file Schedule C (Form 1040) Profit or Loss From Business, complete Form 8829 Expenses for Business Use of Your Home. The calculation from this form is then transferred to Schedule C, Line 30.

If you are a statutory employee, use Schedule C (Form 1040) to claim the expenses. The statutory employee box on Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement, Box 13 will be checked if you are a statutory employee.

To enter the information for the Business Use of Home into the TaxAct® Program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Business Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Business income or loss from a sole proprietorship.
  3. Click + Add Schedule C to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created.
  4. Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.