Schedule C - Business Use of Home

Self-Employed Persons - Business Use of Home

If you are self-employed and file Schedule C (Form 1040), complete Form 8829 Expenses for Business Use of Your Home. The calculation from this form is then transferred to Schedule C, Line 30.

If you are a statutory employee, use Schedule C (Form 1040) to claim the expenses. The statutory employee box on Form W-2, Box 13 will be checked if you are a statutory employee.

To enter the information for the Business Use of Home into the TaxAct® Program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Business Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category and then click Business Income or Loss from Sole Proprietorship
  3. Click +Add Federal Schedule C to create a new copy of the form or click Review to review a form already created 
  4. The program will proceed through several interview screens for you to enter business income, expenses, depreciation, etc., until you get to the screen titled Business Income - Home Business Use