Search Help Topics:

To adjust the income on California Form 540NR California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident to reflect only the income received while a California resident or received from sources within California while a nonresident:
  1. From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop) click on the State Q&A tab and then click California right below the blue tabs at the top of the screen
  2. Click Adjustments to expand the category and then click Part-year/nonresident California source income and adjustments (you will not see this option if you have not selected Part-year or Nonresident in the Basic Information section of the California program)
  3. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
Clicking on the State Form Instructions icon on the right side of the first screen will provide you with information regarding what income must be claimed on a California return for a full-year nonresident of California, and both a full-year and part-year resident of the state. In the instructions for Schedule CA (540NR) this information is under the section for Column E instructions, immediately above the instructions for Line 7 Wages, Salaries, Tips, Etc. California Resident Amounts.

Was this helpful to you?