Form 1065 - Amended Return

If you need to make changes to your Partnership (Form 1065 U.S. Return of Partnership Income) return after it has been filed, you may need to file an amended return. The IRS supports both paper-filing and e-filing for amended returns.

To complete the amendment process:

  1. Locate a copy of your originally-filed return. If you didn’t print or save your return when you e-filed, you will need to obtain a copy from the IRS or your state tax agency.
  2. Review your returns and determine what corrections you need to make.
  3. Return to the Q&A interview and modify, add, or delete the information that needs amending. Make a note of each item you are changing and the reason for each change as you will need these notes to complete the amendment.
  4. From within your TaxAct 1065 return (Online or Desktop), click Filing to expand, then click Amend Federal Return. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Filing.
  5. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the appropriate information to complete the amended return.

When you reach the screen titled Amended Federal Return - Filing Form 1065X, you will need to select whether you would like to paper-file or e-file the amended return.

  • Paper-Filing:
    If you select Paper-Filing, when you click Continue, you will be prompted to print Form 1065X Amended Return or Administrative Adjustment Request (AAR) and will be provided with the mailing address for the form.

    If the corrected amount involves an item of income, deduction, or credit, attach the appropriate schedule, statement, or form to Form 1065X. Include the entity’s name and EIN on any attachments. If the attachments needed to support the corrected amount include copies of forms or schedules from previously filed tax returns, write at the top of each previously filed form or schedule: "Copy Only—Do Not Process."

    See the IRS Instructions for Form 1065X for additional information.
  • Electronic Filing:
    If you select Electronic Filing, when you click Continue, you will need to click E-File My Return and continue through the filing steps until the return has been successfully submitted.

Corrected Schedule K-1s (if applicable): If the income, deductions, credits, or other information provided to any partner has changed, then new Schedule K-1(s) must be filed with the amended return and corrected copies sent to the affected partners.

Note. The IRS only mandates electronic filing for partnerships with more than 100 partners, that are required to use Form 1065-B (instead of Form 1065). Only partnerships that are mandated to e-file their return would be required to e-file an amended return. The IRS has a Guidance for Amended Partnership Returns website that provides additional information.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.