Form 1065 - Amended Return

If you need to make changes to your Partnership (Form 1065) return after it has been filed, you may need to file an amended return. The IRS supports both paper filing and e-filing for amended returns.

Before You Begin:

First, be sure to PRINT a copy of the original return you filed as this will be your only record of the return as it was when you filed it once you make the corrections for the amendment.

Return to the Q&A interview and modify, add, or delete the information that needs amending. Make a note of each item you are changing and the reason for each change as you will need these notes to complete the amendment.

To complete the amendment process: 

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click Filing. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Filing
  2. Click on Amend Federal Return
  3. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the appropriate information to complete the amended return.

When you reach the screen titled Amended Federal Return - Filing Form 1065X, you will need to select whether you would like to paper file or e-file the amended return.

Paper Filing:
If you select Paper Filing, when you click Continue you will be prompted to print the Form 1065X and will be provided with the mailing address for the form.

If the corrected amount involves an item of income, deduction, or credit, attach the appropriate schedule, statement, or form to Form 1065X. Include the entity’s name and EIN on any attachments. If the attachments needed to support the corrected amount include copies of forms or schedules from previously filed tax returns, write at the top of each previously filed form or schedule, “Copy Only—Do Not Process.”

See the IRS Instructions for Form 1065X for additional information.

Electronic Filing:
If you select Electronic Filing, when you click Continue you will need to select E-File My Return and continue through the filing steps until the return has been successfully submitted.

Corrected Schedule K-1s (if applicable): If the income, deductions, credits, or other information provided to any partner has changed, then new Schedule K-1(s) must be filed with the amended return and corrected copies sent to the affected partners.

NOTE: The IRS only mandates electronic filing for partnerships with more than 100 partners, that are required to use Form 1065-B (instead of Form 1065). Only partnerships that are mandated to electronically file their return would be required to electronically file an amended return. The IRS has a website Guidance for Amended Partnership Returns that provides additional information.