Amounts reported on Form W-2, Box 12 with a Code W - Employer contributions to your Health Savings Account will be transferred to Line 7, Column C of California Schedule CA to be added to income on Line 16 of California Form 540.
Per the California Instructions for Schedule CA (540):
Employer health savings account (HSA) contribution. Enter the amount of any employer HSA contribution from federal Form W-2, box 12, code W on line 7, column C.
To enter Box 12 amounts with Code W:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click Federal.
- Click Wages and Salaries Federal Quick Q&A Topics to expand the category, then click Wage income reported on Form W-2
- Click New Copy of Form W-2 (Desktop users click Add) to create a new Form W-2, or click Review to review a form already created
- Enter your Employer's ID number.
- If you select Step-by-Step Guidance continue to the Wages - W-2 - Information screen for Boxes 12-13 and select W - Employer contributions to your Health Savings Account from the drop-down menu for Box 12. If you select Quick Entry, scroll down and enter W for the Box 12 code.