If you need to file both resident and non-resident returns for New Jersey, please follow the instructions below.
- Select which New Jersey form (full-year/part-year) you want to e-file with the state of New Jersey.
- Complete the first return and e-file with the state of New Jersey. (Be sure to print copies of this return)
- You will then need to go back into the New Jersey software and change to the opposite form (full-year/part-year resident or nonresident). This allows all of your federal information to stay the same and transfer to your second New Jersey return. You will just go through the Q&A process using the different form.
- The second return will need to be printed and mailed into the state. (Be sure to print copies of this return)
- TaxAct does not prohibit you from actually submitting both returns by e-file, BUT THE STATE WILL REJECT THE SECOND RETURN because the state has already accepted the first return by e-file with the same social security number.
NOTE: The information from the 1st return will no longer be accessible once you change it. If you will need to access this information again, you will need to create a second online account or a second desktop return.