Search Help Topics:


If you have a Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement reporting wages for Massachusetts and another state, these wages may duplicate on the Massachusetts return. If this is the case, you will need to make an adjustment on the Massachusetts return.

On Line 3 of Form 1, report total state wages and allocated tips from Form(s) W-2. Income earned by a Massachusetts resident in another state is subject to taxation in Massachusetts. Generally, your total wages and allocated tips will be the same amount reported on your Federal 1040, Line 1.

To enter or edit Form W-2 in TaxAct, go to our "Form W-2 - Adding,' Reviewing' or Deleting" FAQ.

To make the adjustment on the Massachusetts return in the TaxAct program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click the State dropdown, then click Massachusetts (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click State, then click MA).
  2. Click the Income Topics dropdown, then click Wage Adjustment.
  3. On the screen titled Massachusetts - Wage Adjustment, enter the amount of the duplicated wages as a negative number, and continue with the interview process to enter your information.

Note. If a wage adjustment is made on the Massachusetts return, you will not be able to e-file your Massachusetts return. This is a Massachusetts state guideline, not a TaxAct limitation.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?