Form 2441 - Foreign Provider

When completing the Child and Dependent Care Expenses form, you are required to supply the care provider's identification number. If you are living abroad, your care provider may not have or be required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number.

Per IRS Publication 503 Child and Dependent Care Expenses, page 9:

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Living Abroad. If you are living abroad, your care provider may not have, and may not be required to get, a U.S. taxpayer identification number (for example, a SSN or an EIN). If so, enter “LAFCP” (Living Abroad Foreign Care Provider) in the space for the care provider's taxpayer identification number.

Note. This will not prevent you from electronically filing your return.

To enter the Child and Dependent Care Expense information in to the TaxAct program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Child and Dependent Care in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics
  3. On the screen titled Dependent Care - Introduction click Yes
  4. Click +Add Form 2441 Care Provider to create a new copy of the form or Review to review a form already created
  5. Enter or verify the care provider information and amount paid for daycare, making sure to check the box Foreign provider not required to get U.S. identification. If this box is checked, do not enter a provider identification number.
  6. Continue through the Q&A to enter the child's information and qualifying expenses