Sales tax paid on a vacation home is not allowed as an itemized deduction for specified items on Schedule A (Form 1040) Itemized Deductions, Line 5.
Sales tax would not be deductible if the vacation home is an actual piece of real property. If the vacation home was a recreational vehicle, then you would be able to deduct the sales tax.
To see the specified items that would be allowed:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Taxes paid.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
- On the screen titled Would you like to review your state and local sales tax?, click Yes.
- On the screen titled Choose your sales tax calculation method, click Table Amount.
- On the screen titled Enter sales tax you paid on specified items, enter the General sales taxes paid on specified items (click View More or More Info on the specified items for more information), then click Continue.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.