If you are claimed as a dependent on another return, you cannot use the Optional State and Certain Local Sales Tax Tables for calculating an itemized deduction for General Sales Taxes on Line 5 of Schedule A (Form 1040) Itemized Deductions.
You would be eligible to claim the actual state and local general sales tax expenses, but would need to keep your actual receipts showing the general sales taxes paid.
Sales Tax Tables can be found in the Instructions for Schedule A (Form 1040), on pages A-13 to A-16.
To enter sales tax rates in the TaxAct program:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Taxes paid.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
- On the screen titled Would you like to review your state and local sales tax?, click Yes.
- On the screen titled Choose your sales tax calculation method, click Table Amount.
- On the screen titled Enter any nontaxable income you received, enter the appropriate information, then click Continue.
- On the screen titled What is your local sales tax rate?, enter the appropriate Local general sales tax rate, then click Continue. Depending on state listed, the program will assign any set state tax rates for you.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.