If you are a public employee of New York State or its local governments, you may have 414(h) contributions shown on your Form W-2.
If you are any one of the following, your 414(h) contributions need to be entered on Form IT-203, Line 21.
- a member of the NYS and Local Retirement Systems, which include the NYS Employees' Retirement System
- a member of the NYS Teachers' Retirement system
- an employee of the State or City University of New York who belongs to the Optional Retirement Program
- a member of the NYC Employees' Retirement System, the NYC Teachers' Retirement System, the NYC Board of Education Retirement System, the NYC Police Pension Fund or the NYC Fire Department Pension Fund
- a member of the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MABSTOA) Pension Plan
To enter or modify the 414(h) entry on your Form W-2:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Wages and Salaries to expand the category and then click Wage income reported on Form W-2
- Click Add to create a new copy of the form or Review to review a form already created
- Select Quick Entry or Step-by-Step Guidance
- If you select Quick Entry, scroll down to the field titled New York Public Employee 414(h) retirement contributions and enter the amount of the contributions
- If you select Step-by-Step Guidance, continue to the screen titled Wages - W-2 - New York Public Employees and enter the amount of the contributions. Note: You will only see this screen if you have New York selected as the state in Box 15.
The amount entered will be added back as income on your New York return.