Search Help Topics:

Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to the Direct Debit payment, such as the account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment transaction and choose another payment method.

Taxpayers should call the IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 (toll-free) to inquire about or cancel a payment, (or to report problems such as bank closures, lost or stolen bank account numbers, closed bank accounts, or unauthorized transactions) but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.

Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

If a payment is returned by your financial institution (e.g., due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, closed account, etc.) the IRS will mail a "Letter 4870" to the address we have on file for you, explaining why the payment could not be processed, and providing alternate payment options.

In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request, you will be responsible for making other payment arrangements and for any penalties and interest incurred.

Contact your financial institution immediately if there is an error in the amount withdrawn.

You may contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 if you have any questions.

In the event Treasury causes an incorrect amount of funds to be withdrawn from a bank account, Treasury will return any improperly transferred funds.

Can I change the payment withdrawal date or account information for my state return?

Contact your state tax agency to change your payment (they may or may not grant your request).

Additional Information

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?