Search Help Topics:

To enter federal or state withholding amounts from Form W-2, see Entering in Program - Form W-2 and follow the instructions to complete the Wages and Salaries section of the program.

To enter federal or state withholding amounts when there is not an applicable section in the Q&A interview, use Form 1099-MISC for Box 3. This will transfer the federal/state withholding to the appropriate lines of the returns. The actual Form 1099-MISC is not electronically filed with the return; only the information that it contains is electronically filed. As instructed below, only the withholding entries are completed for the form, and no amount would actually be entered for Box 3.

Some examples of forms where this may be necessary are Forms 1099-PATR, Forms 1099-K, and Forms 1099-G for Taxable Grants and lottery winnings not reported on Form W-2G.

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Form 1099-MISC to expand the category and then click 3 - Other Income
  3. Select Form 1040 and click Continue
  4. On the screen titled Form 1099-MISC - Miscellaneous Income, enter the federal withheld amount in the field 4 - Federal income tax withheld
  5. Continue to the third screen titled Form 1099-MISC - Miscellaneous Income, and enter the information for the state tax withheld (the amount, the state name, and the state ID number)

Note that if you have multiple amounts to enter you would combine them into one entry (one entry for the federal withheld amounts and one for the state withheld amounts).

Was this helpful to you?