To enter or review information for Form 9465 Installment Agreement Request in TaxAct, please follow these steps:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Miscellaneous Topics to expand the category and then click IRS installment payment plan request
- Click Yes to enter or review data.
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
- If you choose to set up monthly Electronic Funds Withdrawals for your installment request during the entry of your information for Form 9465, you will be prompted to enter your banking information. When you proceed through the electronic filing steps, choose Mail a Check on the E-Filing - Federal Balance Due Options screen. In the event the IRS does not approve the installment request, mail the Form 1040-V voucher to submit payment. Until you hear from the IRS that the Form 1040-V needs to be mailed, keep it with your records. Mail the 1040-V only if your installment request is denied.
- Do NOT enter your banking information under the Direct Withdrawal selection, because that will result in the entire amount being withdrawn all at once. You were prompted to enter the banking information in the Q&A section for Form 9465 earlier in the process.
- In the filing steps, you will be prompted to view and/or print the Federal E-File Instructions. Note that filing Form 9465 does NOT guarantee your request for a payment plan. The IRS will contact you to approve or deny your installment plan request.