Search Help Topics:


If you have a rental property that you rented for less than the fair market price, this would not be reported on Schedule E. Instead, the income is reported on Line 21 of Schedule 1 (Form 1040) and the expenses are reported on Schedule A.

Per IRS Publication 527 Residential Rental Property, page 16:

Not Rented for Profit

If you don’t rent your property to make a profit, you can’t deduct rental expenses in excess of the amount of your rental income. You can’t deduct a loss or carry forward to the next year any rental expenses that are more than your rental income for the year.

Where to report. Report your not-for-profit rental income on Schedule 1 (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 8, or Form 1040-NR, line 21. If you itemize your deductions, include your mortgage interest and mortgage insurance premiums (if you use the property as your main home or second home), real estate taxes, and casualty losses from your not-for-profit rental activity when figuring the amount you can deduct on Schedule A.

Presumption of Profit. If your rental income is more than your rental expenses for at least 3 years out of a period of 5 consecutive years, you are presumed to be renting your property to make a profit.

To enter your not for profit residential rental income in TaxAct:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Other Income  in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand that category and click Prizes, awards or other miscellaneous income
  3. Enter a description of "Not for profit residential rental" and enter your rental income under the applicable taxpayer's column

Was this helpful to you?