Capital Gains and Losses - Inherited Home

Your share of sales proceeds (generally reported on Form 1099-S Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions) from the sale of an inherited home should be reported on Schedule D (Form 1040) Capital Gains and Losses in the Investment Income section of TaxAct.

Enter "Inherited" as the date the property was acquired, then enter the cost basis, date of sale, and the sales proceeds. Note. You would only enter your share of the cost basis and sales proceeds to calculate the appropriate amount of gain or loss.

To enter this information on Form 1099-B so it will transfer the data to Schedule D (long term) in the TaxAct Program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Investment Income in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, click Gain or loss on the sale of investments to expand, then click Capital gain or loss (Form 1099-B).
  3. Click + Add Form 1099-B to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created.
  4. Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.

Per IRS Publication 523 Selling Your Home, on page 10:

Home acquired from a decedent who died before or after 2010. If you inherited your home from a decedent who died before or after 2010, your basis is the fair market value of the property on the date of the decedent's death (or the later alternate valuation date chosen by the personal representative of the estate). If an estate tax return was filed or required to be filed, the value of the property listed on the estate tax return is your basis. If a federal estate tax return didn’t have to be filed, your basis in the home is the same as its appraised value at the date of death, for purposes of state inheritance or transmission taxes.

Per IRS Publication 559 Survivors, Executors, and Administrators, on page 17:

Sale of decedent's residence. If the estate is the legal owner of a decedent's residence and the personal representative sells it in the course of administration, the tax treatment of gain or loss depends on how the estate holds or uses the former residence. For example, if, as the personal representative, you intend to realize the value of the house through sale, the residence is a capital asset held for investment and gain or loss is capital gain or loss (which may be deductible). This is the case even though it was the decedent's personal residence and even if you didn't rent it out. If, however, the house isn't held for business or investment use (for example, if you intend to permit a beneficiary to live in the residence rent-free and then distribute it to the beneficiary to live in), and you later decide to sell the residence without first converting it to business or investment use, any gain is capital gain, but a loss isn't deductible.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.