How to Obtain a Copy of a Tax Return

To request a transcript or a copy of your tax return from the IRS:

  • IRS Form 4506T-EZ Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript (free of charge from the IRS)
  • IRS Form 4506-T Request for Transcript of Return (free of charge from the IRS)
  • IRS Form 4506 Request for Copy of Tax Return (IRS fee)

Note. If you need to file a prior year return, see Previous Year's TaxAct Products for a list of available Online and Desktop programs. If you used TaxAct in a prior year and need to access your account, see Accessing Prior Year Returns.

According to the IRS Topic 156 Copy of Your Tax Return - How to Get One:

Free IRS Transcript - Short Form (Form 4506T-EZ)

The IRS has created a new Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript, to order a transcript of a Form 1040 series return. The IRS created this streamlined form to help those taxpayers trying to obtain, modify or refinance a home mortgage. Transcripts may also be mailed to a third party, such as a mortgage institution, if specified on the form. You must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure. Businesses, partnerships or individuals who need transcript information from other forms, such as Form W-2 or Form 1099, can use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to obtain the information. These transcripts may also be mailed to a third party if there is consent for the disclosure.

Free IRS Transcript (Form 4506-T)

Most needs for tax return information can be met with a computer print-out of your return information called a "transcript". A transcript may be an acceptable substitute for an exact copy of a return by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. A "tax return transcript" will show most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed. If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, however, you must request a "tax account transcript". Both transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years and are provided free of charge. The period in which you will receive the transcript varies from within ten to thirty business days from the time the IRS receives your request for the tax return or tax account transcript.

Copy of Return - $50 (Form 4506)

If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2), you should complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions, along with a $50.00 fee for each tax period requested. The check or money order for the fee should be made payable to the "United States Treasury". Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past six years. Copies of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse and only one signature is required. Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Additional Information

You can obtain a free transcript on the Website ( by clicking Order a Transcript under the Online Services option, or by calling 800-908-9946 and following the prompts in the recorded message, or by completing and mailing a request for a transcript to the address listed in the instructions.

Forms can be downloaded by using the following links or ordered by calling 800-829-3676. If you are a taxpayer impacted by a federally declared disaster, the IRS will waive the usual fees and expedite requests for copies of tax returns for people who need them to apply for benefits or to file amended returns claiming disaster-related losses. For additional information, refer to Topic 107, or call the IRS Disaster Assistance Hotline at 866-562-5227.