Search Help Topics:

For various reasons, you may not have filed your federal income tax return for this year or previous years.

  • You may not have known whether you were required to file,
  • You may not have filed because you owe additional tax that you cannot afford to pay in full, and/or
  • You may not have filed because you expect a refund and just have not taken the time to complete the return.

Regardless of your reason for not filing, you will want to file your tax return as soon as possible. If you need help, the IRS is ready to assist you. Please refer to the IRS Topic No. 153 What to Do if You Haven't Filed Your Tax Return for additional information.

Previous years' tax returns may be prepared using the TaxAct software. However, the IRS will not accept e-filing for previous year returns, so the return must be printed and mailed to the IRS.

If you need to complete or amend a tax return for 2019 or later, you have the option of preparing and printing your return using our TaxAct Online service (Online Products tab). Simply use the link we have provided to start a new return. 

The TaxAct Desktop program can be downloaded for purposes of preparing returns for tax year 2013 and newer. However, if you need to complete or amend a tax return for a year prior to 2019, you must use TaxAct Desktop Program (Download Products tab). You can order prior year programs using the link provided.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?