You can deduct dues and initiation fees you pay for union membership. These are entered as unreimbursed employee expenses on Line 21 of Schedule A (Form 1040) Itemized Deductions.
To enter union dues in TaxAct®:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions to expand the category, then click Unreimbursed employee expenses - Subject to 2% of AGI limit
- Click Yes on the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Job or Miscellaneous Deductions
- Click No on the screen titled Itemized Deductions – Deduct Form 2106 Expenses
- Continue to the screens titled Itemized Deductions - Unreimbursed Expenses - Subject to 2% of AGI Limit
- On the third screen with that title, enter your union dues in the Union dues and expenses box
For more information, see IRS Publication 529 Miscellaneous Deductions, page 7.