Search Help Topics:

If you itemized deductions on your federal return in the 2014 tax year, then a state refund that you received in 2015 may be taxable. You would enter the amount in the State Tax Refund section of TaxAct®. If you did not itemize on your 2014 federal return, then the state refund would not be taxable to you.

To enter the state tax refund:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click State Income Tax Refund
  3. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information

Was this helpful to you?