TaxAct® will calculate the general sales tax for your state for Schedule A (Form 1040) Itemized Deductions, Line 5.
In the Itemized Deductions section of the Federal Q&A, you can enter the name of the state and the number of days you lived in that state. TaxAct will then calculate the state general sales tax based on the optional state sales tax and local sales tax tables in the IRS Instructions for Schedule A.
To enter this information into the TaxAct program:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Taxes paid.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
- On the screen titled Do you want to enter state and local sales tax information?, click Yes.
- Click Table Amount, then continue to the screen titled Where did you live during 2020?.
- Select the state you lived in from State # drop-down, enter the Number of days you lived in that state, then click Continue. If you lived in more than one state, click Add Another State, then select/enter its information.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.