Search Help Topics:


If you wish to elect to take the sales tax deduction instead of the state income tax deduction (even though the state income tax deduction is a greater amount):

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category and then click Sales tax or state income tax deduction 
  3. Select the option you prefer to take on your return

Was this helpful to you?