Depending on where you live, the TaxAct program might ask what your locality is when you claim your State and Local General Sales Tax Deduction (if you need help accessing the sales tax section of the TaxAct program, go to our Sales Tax - Entering in the Program FAQ):
- From within the sales tax deduction section of the TaxAct program, continue with the interview process until you reach the screen titled Choose your sales tax calculation method, then click Table Amount.
- On the screen titled Where did you live during 2022?, click the dropdown below State #1, and click your state. Click the data entry field below Number of days, and type the amount.
- If you see the screen titled What was your locality during 2022?, click the dropdown below Locality name, and click your locality (if your locality is not listed, click Any other locality with sales tax in the dropdown).
- If you don't see this screen, don't worry, you will still enter your local general sales tax rate in this Q&A.
- Continue with the interview process to enter your information.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.