To select your Locality Name in the Sales Tax Table section of the Q&A by following these instructions:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Taxes paid.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
- On the screen titled Do you want to enter state and local sales tax information?, click Yes.
- Click Table Amount, continue to the screen titled Where did you live during 2020?, select the state lived in from the State # drop-down and its Number of days. If you lived in more than one state, click Add Another State to add another, then select/enter its information. Click Continue when done.
- For states with locality tax rates, if you see the screen titled What was your locality during 2020?, select your locality from the Locality name drop-down, then click Continue. If your locality is not listed, then select "Any other locality with sales tax" in the bottom of the drop-down.
- On the screen titled What is your local sales tax rate?, enter the Local general sales tax rate if needed, then click Continue. The state rate will automatically populate. Keep in mind that the total of the two rates on this screen should reflect the tax rate you pay when you go to a local store.