You can select your Locality Name in the Sales Tax Table section of the Q&A by following these instructions:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category and then click Taxes paid
- Continue to the screen titled Do you want to enter state and local sales tax information? and click Yes
- Click Table Amount
- Continue to the screen titled Where did you live during 2018? and select the state(s) lived in and the number of days
- Continue to the next screen titled What is your local sales tax rate? (you will only see this screen if you selected one of the listed states on the previous screen) and select the appropriate locality name from the drop down box (not every state selection will ask for a locality). If your specific locality is not listed, select Any locality.
- On the following screen you will need to enter in the local sales tax rate (the state rate will automatically populate). Keep in mind that the total of the two rates on this screen should reflect the tax rate you pay when you go to a local store.