If you lived in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California (Los Angeles County only), Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, or Virginia in 2016, you would select your Locality Name in the Sales Tax Table section of the Q&A:
- From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions to expand the category and then click Taxes paid
- Continue to the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Optional State Sales Tax and click Yes
- Click Table Amount
- Continue to the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Residency Information and select the state(s) lived in and the number of days
- Continue to the next screen titled Itemized Deductions - Optional Local Sales Tax Table (you will only see this screen if you selected one of the listed states on the previous screen) and select the appropriate locality name from the drop down box. If your specific locality is not listed, select Any locality.
- On the following screen you will need to enter in the local sales tax rate (the state rate will automatically populate). Keep in mind that the total of the two rates on this screen should reflect the tax rate you pay when you go to a local store.