Search Help Topics:

According to the IRS Instructions for Schedule A, you can only deduct state and local personal property taxes if they were based on value alone and were imposed on a yearly basis. The most common type of personal property tax is vehicle registration fees. Many state or local taxing authorities base this fee on the value of your vehicle. If you're unsure whether or not your vehicle registration fees are based on value, please contact the taxing authority for verification.

To enter your personal property taxes paid:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federaltab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Itemized or Standard Deductions to expand the category and then click Taxes Paid
  3. Continue to the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Personal Property Taxes and enter the amount

This information will then flow to Schedule A, Line 7.

Note: Although commonly referred to as property taxes, taxes you pay on your home are known as real estate taxes and would be entered separately on the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Real Estate Taxes Paid. Click this link for additional information about Real Estate Taxes Paid.

Was this helpful to you?