To enter any foreign mortgage interest for which you did not receive a Form 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Interest expenses.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
- On the screen titled Did you receive Form 1098 reporting mortgage interest?, click Yes.
- On the screen titled Form 1098: Enter your mortgage lender's information, click Enter a foreign address to add fields for foreign address information to the screen.
- Enter the applicable information, click Continue, then continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
Note. Whether you can claim the mortgage interest paid on a foreign loan for a foreign home is a question of tax law. You would need to contact the IRS (1-800-829-1040), as this is not clearly defined in their instructions.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.